Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Creamed Eggs on Toast

Most often used as a way to use mass quantities of boiled eggs after Easter, my brother used to call this delectable family favorite "Egg Stuff," therefore making it a fun favorite for the kids to request with it's silly name.

Simplified instructions: Cream Sauce and boiled eggs on toast.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter/margarine
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 slice onion (if desired)
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 hard boiled eggs
Toast.

Directions:
1. Melt butter in frying pan on low.  Melt, not bubble.
     -If you choose to use the onions, dice them and sautee in butter before adding flour.
(I prefer to use a cast iron skillet, but my mom also used a 9-inch pot and that worked just as well.)
2. Add flour 1 Tbs at a time, mixing it into the butter until evenly distributed.
(I generally mix it in with a spatula)
Butter/Flour mixture should be doughey. 
3 . Add milk one cup at a time, mixing constantly to eliminate lumps before adding the next cup.
(My mom had the skills to use a whisk.  My white sauces were never really lump-free until I started to use a hand mixer to mix it all.  Hense the cast-iron skillet.)
4.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  The white sauce should taste delicious all by itself.
5.  Cube hard boiled eggs and mix into white sauce.
6.  Break toast into bite-sized pieces on each dinner plate.  Add sauce on top of toast.

Makes 3 servings (or one if you're me)

Prep time: 20-25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment